A new focus
The 1830 July Revolution was to turn the fortunes of the Order of Saint Lazarus. The July Revolution forced the abdication of King Charles X and his son King Louis XIX. The kingship was assumed by Louis Philippe d’Orléans who withdrew the Royal protection for the Order of St. Lazarus.
The Order however still retained its original Papal fons honorum and its members continued to associate and organize themselves using their old titles well into the mid-19th century. By the mid-19th century, the Order had transferred its attention to the philanthropic support of the rebuilding of the Monastery of Our Lady of Mount Carmel at Haifa in the Holy Land. This activity, together with a visit of the Melkite Patriarch Maximos III Malzoum to Paris, probably led to the establishment of links between the Order and the Melkite Patriarch who had been delegated the responsibility for all Christians in the Holy Land by Pope Gregory XVI in 1838. Recruitment during the second half of the 19th century remained limited to a number of distinct Melkite prelates and distinct French politicians and naval officers. By 1896, members of the Order were being termed either the Hospitaller Nobles of St Lazarus or the Hospitaller Knights of St Lazarus.